Sharing is caring!

8 Plants To Keep Away From Your Dogs

Many of us take pride in outdoor gardens and plants, but did you know that many common plants are toxic to our dogs? Depending on the type of plant, the amount ingested and in some cases the weight of the dog, an innocent trip outdoors by a pet with a penchant for munching plants can have serious consequences. The ASPCA has categorized 1026 common plants and lists any potential toxicity danger, but here are a few of the more common plants dog owners should know about.

Sago Palms, also known as Coontie Palm, Cardboard Palm, cycads and zamias contain Cycasin, which is toxic to dogs. It can cause vomiting, increased thirst, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, bruising, coagulopathy, liver damage, liver failure and even death.

Dahlias, which are incredibly popular in Greater Cincinnati, can cause mild skin and gastrointestinal problems, so they should be out of the reach of sensitive dogs.

Azaleas, as well as other rhododendron species, contains Grayanotoxin, which is toxic to dogs. If ingested, Grayantoxin can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, general weakness and, if the dose is strong enough, even death.

Tulips are common in many yards, but they are toxic to dogs because they contain Tulipalin A and B. This is more greatly concentrated in the bulbs, and can cause problems from drooling to convulsions and cardiac issues.

Hydrangeas are also very popular, but contain Cyanogenic Glycoside, which is toxic to dogs. Symptoms after ingestion range from oral irritation to gastrointestinal distress to depression for pets who eat them.

Autumn Crocus, also known as Meadow Saffron, contains Colchicine and other alkaloids, which are serious threats to dogs. Ingestion can lead to bloody vomiting, diarrhea, shock, multi-organ damage and bone marrow suppression.

English Ivy, also known as Branching Ivy, Glacier Ivy, Needlepoint Ivy, Sweetheart Ivy and California Ivy, is popular both for landscaping and as a houseplant. If digested it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, pain and excess salivation in dogs. The foliage is more toxic than the berries.

Considering that Foxglove goes by the botanical name of Digitalis, also the name of a commonly used heart medication, it’s not surprising that it can result in cardiac arrhythmias, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, cardiac failure, and even death.

If you suspect your pet has gotten into something it shouldn’t have, contact your vet immediately.

Dog Day, Every Day! is a team of professional, experienced and confident caregivers that love our clients’ dogs and want them to be as safe and healthy as possible! We provide doggy day care and spa services, and it is our privilege to provide a fun, caring and engaging environment for your dogs to thrive in while you are at work. If you have any questions about our daycare or spa services or would like to learn more, please reach out to us!

For more pet care tips and our latest updates, check us out on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest!

Dog Day Every Day